Rich Man, Poor Man

 I read "Rich Man, Poor Man" written by T. C. Jupp.

The official looked angry and said, "Show me your Identity Card. I don't know you."
The official gave back my money order and he turned away.
"Where can I buy an Identity Card?" I asked the official. 
He did not speak to me. He did not answer.

 The main character in this story is "I". "I" am an old man who lives in the countryside with his wife, but he receives a letter from his son, Saul, who has left the village and went to the other country. He asked a school teacher to read the letter and my son, Saul sent "me" and my wife a letter with a £100 money order.  "I" asked the teacher to show him how to turn it into money.
 The next day, "I" went to the Post Office in Darpur in the early morning, wearing my best things. There was a queue of people there. Finally, it was "my" turn. But the Officer didn't  serve me. He just said, "Show me your ID. And I didn't get money. Then I did as I was told and went to make an ID card. I didn't know about the ID card. I didn't know what it was, but the Officer told "me" to fill it out and come back tomorrow with my photo. I was very disappointed,  but I went to take a picture.  In the photography studio I paid the photographer £2 and being taken a photo. And I was told to come back tomorrow to get the finished photo. In the end I was very disappointed and went to take the picture. In the photography studio I paid the photographer £2 and  I was told to come back tomorrow to pick up the finished product. I was disappointed. But I couldn't go there the next day because I was too tired. So I visited there on Thursday instead. But I was told by the photographer there that he didn't know anything about it even "me", so I couldn't get a picture. I was so angry that I hit him with my stick three times. The police took me to the police station and instructed me to return to the town. I was tired and angry. That day I told everyone in the town about the incident. Then a school teacher in town said I could help. He said to me  "You visit Mr. Sheth". When I visited Mr. Sheth, he told me "I like to help people". Then I showed him the Money Order paper. Then he said, "This is not worth anything in this country. I was disappointed to the most.
 Mr. Sheth gave me an envelope instead of my "worthless" money order paper. I thanked him for his kindness, and felt happy. But when he opened the envelope on his way home, there was only ten pounds in it. My son had given me a hundred pounds... I felt poor again.

 
 After I read this story, I felt very very very sad. And I had feelings that I could not express. It's not anger, nor it's imply sad. The "I" in the story is supposed to be able to get the money that his son Saul sent him, but he couldn't. I think it was a disappointing experience for "I", for Martha, and for her son. At the beginning of the story, Saul wrote in his letter that "his job is not easy.". I think that also makes the money that Saul sent to his parents very valuable. I think stories like this actually happen present day. I think it's the same with fraud, robbery, etc. I hope that unhappy incident like the one in this story don't happen in reality.

This story doesn't have happy ending, but I like this story, this story is meaningfyl.

Vocabulary
・Darpur{ヒンディー語}(Darfur)スーダン西部の貧困地域
・money order 郵便為替
・queue 【kjúː】人や車のまっている列、待ち列
・Ministry of Interior 内政部


コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Goldilocks and the Bears

Good time in Global Lounge

ER2021 #2 (Apr.29)